There are so many things to do in Vanuatu, making it the perfect place to explore and go on adventures. Each of the islands offers something different and distinct and therefore you can easily spend more than one holiday there or island hop without worrying that you will end up doing the same things over and over again. Here are some of the fantastic things the three most popular islands - Efate, Espiritu Santo and Tanna - have to offer.
Things to do in Efate:
The island of Efate, home to the capital of Port Vila, offers a wide range of activities and experiences on land, in the air and under the water.
- Mele Cascades Waterfall - Located near Port Vila this little slice of heaven should not be missed. It is a nice walk uphill and you will see an abundance of little waterfalls and beautiful surroundings on your way to the top. Well worth the effort! Tip: Try to fit in a lunch at the restaurant at the bottom and ask if they could show you some coconut crabs.
- Horse Riding in the Rainforest or around the Lagoon: Is there a more romantic way to explore your surroundings than on horseback? Mount these majestic animals and let them take you through beautiful rainforests or along the lagoon. Tip: The lagoon ride usually includes a dip in the water – including the horse! Great fun for everyone involved!
- Jungle Zipline: Soar through the air and enjoy beautiful views with a Jungle Zipline Adventure. Tip: There is a Helicopter/Jungle Zipline Combo and you will be arriving in pure style!
- Snorkel Trip: Efate is surrounded by beautiful waters and you should definitely schedule in a snorkel trip during your visit. Tip: Visit the Underwater Post Office at Hideaway Island Resort and drop off your postcards there.
- Scenic Helicopter Flight: Enjoy a bird’s eye view of Efate with a variety of different scenic flights on offer. Tip: There is a stunning Active Volcano Experience for the brave ones amongst you!
- Pele Island Tour: Head to Pele Island and learn about the historical and local life of the island people along with the new ways of daily living and experience some great snorkeling! Tip: A full day tour is definitely well worth it and usually includes a delicious BBQ style lunch on island.
- Ekasup Feast and Village Visit: Learn about local culture, life, traditions and food! Tip: Try to avoid cruise ship days for a more intimate and authentic experience!
- Tropic Thunder Jetboat Ride: For adrenaline junkies and lovers of all things fast, a jetboat ride is the perfect adventure! Tip: Prepare to get wet!
- Buggy Tours: Explore the island in a buggy and cruise through the jungle or along the beach. Tip: You have to have a full open driver’s license, so make sure to bring it along.
- Parasailing: Sail 60-80 meters in the air while enjoying beautiful Port Vila harbour and breathtaking views! Tip: No experience necessary, but the minimum age is 12 years.
Things to do in Espiritu Santo:
Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu’s largest Island, is fantastic for all things beach & water. Here are our TOP 5 Experiences not to be missed:
- Visit Champagne Beach: Famous for its crystal clear waters, white sand and great snorkeling. Tip: Avoid cruise ship days for a tranquil and relaxing experience.
- Visit Port Olry for a relaxed beer or cocktail at the beach: Port Olry is home to a beautiful stretch of beach and a great beach bar called “Chez Louis”. The perfect spot to hang out for the day, have some drinks and great seafood. Tip: Don’t forget your swimmers.
- Blue Hole Tour: An absolute must-do, these waterholes will impress you with their color, clarity and beauty. Tip: Take a tour that gets you there by canoe instead of car!
- Diving: Espiritu Santo is a fantastic place for divers due to the different reefs and World War II remnants, including the world famous SS President Coolidge. Tip: Some properties cater to regular guests as well as divers and dive groups, so you’ll get the best of both worlds.
- World War II History Tour: The history buffs among you will be interested in the World War II stories and remnants you can find in Santo. Tip: Dive or snorkel at Million Dollar Point, a graveyard for military gear that the US military dumped there after the Second World War.
Thing to do on Tanna Island:
Tanna is known for one of the world’s most accessible active volcanoes, the mighty Mount Yasur, and as the place to visit for an authentic experience.
- Mount Yasur: This active volcano is an impressive display of the sheer force of nature and you will get up close to watch this mesmerizing spectacle! A truly memorable and unique experience. Tip: Don’t forget to bring a jumper – it can get surprisingly chilly up top!
- Blue Cave: This cave is a place of wonder, only illuminated through a small hole in the ceiling which gives it a hauntingly beautiful touch. Tip: If you are not a great swimmer/diver make sure to visit the cave at low tide, otherwise you will have to swim underwater for a short distance during high tide.
- Diving: Diving in Tanna is very different to the other islands due to its volcano which has shaped a beautifully unique underwater world. Tip: Try to see the local dugong on your dive, spotted regularly at Turtle Reef.
- Custom Village Visit: When you are visiting a village on Tanna you can rest assured that this is a real live-in village and you are more or less stepping into peoples’ homes. Tip: Bring small things like pens and drawing books for the children of the local villages.
- Black Magic: Marvel at the traditions and superstitions of the local tribes and watch the magic men perform their ancient tricks. Tip: At some point there will be a Kava Tasting. Don’t be shy and give it a try!
Now that you know what to do in Vanuatu, it’s time to go! View our Vanuatu Packages online or let us help you tailor-make a package by contacting us on 1800 800 722.comments powered by Disqus